Lindsay Station Round Up #1 5/25/17

Updated: Mar 19, 2020

We have officially owned Lindsay Station for a full week and we have made significant progress (which you would barely notice) in the yard. We both love working outside, especially now with the warm weather, and how small projects can make such a huge difference.

General Yard Work

We started by removing the massive shrub that was eating our wrap around porch. We literally left the attorney’s office and drove directly to Home Depot to buy the tools we needed. We piled the shrub on the side yard deck with a ton of other trimmings and had it all picked up by someone on craigslist (one of my favorite tricks.)

We later found out from a neighbor that a previous owner had beagles and if you intend to use them for hunting they should not be allowed to touch the ground. Hence the side yard deck. Super weird.

We then started taking down the boards covering the first floor and basement windows. These were installed just prior to closing by the seller. During fire inspection the Fire Department mandated the windows be covered given the risks. It was a minor inconvenience but now we have a ton of new plywood.

The rest of the first weekend was spent on general clean up. The house is on a busy intersection that collects a lot of trash. That combined with about a year or more of little maintenance left us with a job and a half.


The fence was very old and in pretty rough shape. It was also a bit too tall, and, purple. We knew we needed to remove it. The sections came down very easily and were broken down and piled. The posts on the other hand are impossible to remove. The footers are massive, and deep. We considered cutting the posts to the ground but would much prefer to remove them. We don’t want to run into any issues when putting a new fence in. Fun fact, we found out that our fence violated code in the 80s or 90s and the owner had to move the corner sections to not obstruct the sightline of drivers at the intersection. We will not make that mistake again.